Sunday, October 25, 2009

Is There a Doctor in the House?

I don't keep up on many "new" things these days, and action figures are no exception. There is one series, however, that I can't resist: Doctor Who.

I've been a fan for years and years. I used to stay up late on Saturday and catch the Fourth Doctor's merry scarf-clad adventures every week. I walked around my first year of college wearing a long coat and scarf and calling myself a time lord. On days I wasn't doing that, I wore a leather jacket and insulated cap, yelling to my friends "Hey! Smeghead!" because I was also obsessed with Red Dwarf. Can you believe I had no problem ever getting a date? In fact quite the opposite. Really. I'm not kidding. Anyway, I always wanted Doctor Who toys, but alas they were few and far between.

Fast forward to today, and the Doctor Who revival. Not only are there action figures of the new series (which is a lot of fun) but there are retro figures as well. Here's a quick snapshot of the ones I keep out on a shelf above the TV.




That's a mixture of 12" and regular figures, and the big Dalek and red Dalek are both radio controlled. I've got many, many more...nearly a complete set. Most of them are in a box that my daughter and I play with. She's a fan too. The Flight Control Tardis is one of the best toys ever. I nearly cried when I saw it. (ok, not really, but I thought to myself "this is really cool! I should totally cry now")

They're not exactly simple to find, but not hard either...especially online. My two rock-solid reliable sources are jrstoyworld.com and whona.com. Both have amazing fast service. I usually get my order in three days. My local Hastings (book/music/video chain) carries them too, so if you have one of those you might check it out. They're a little pricier there, but I suppose with shipping it probably all evens out. I thought they were expensive, but then I saw what Wal-Mart and Target charge for Star Wars action figures these day. Now they seem like a pretty good deal.

Still waiting for Red Dwarf toys......

More details to follow...I hope....I just wanted to put this out there and maybe spark some conversation with people. (DJdeTrainman, you out there?)

3 comments:

DJdeTrainman said...

Hiya, I'm here! I just got the chance to check out your blog. As you can see, I'm actually reading it, and I've really enjoyed it so far; keep up the good work, Pat!

rebelwookiee said...

Welcome! I don't update as often as I should, but there's some good stuff here. Look through my comments to find Anthony and NoelCT's blogs for more fun. Anthony and I are 80's guys, so if there's anything you need to know about that awesome era just ask one of us.

InactiveUser said...

You didn't go to Indiana University did you? If so, I think you were roommates with a guy I went through primary and secondary school with. This just sounds like Brad's description of his roommate.

As far as the Red Dwarf toys, there's a minature Starbug playset I think Corgi put out. Has the four figures in it. Mind you, most of the people on eBay want an arm and a leg for it. Just saw the posting on ManTech killing time, perused the rest of the site. Nice stuff.